Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Samba... Lets Dance!!!

Its Working!!! And plz dont ask how! I have no clue!!
After almost a week of struggle its working. I've tried to recall what i did but i might've missed some important details..

I decided to install Samba 3.0 and see if that helped but 3.0 wasnt installing.. gave some libpopt required error.. so i gave up.. (Actually, I already had 3.0 but at the time I didnt know that! :O I realised it later on)

Then I got fedup.. No one on #samba (irc) was replying so I deleted everything in my (/etc/samba/) smb.conf and just put in the basics:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = ETERNIA
server string = Samba Server
interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0, eth1, eth2
bind interfaces only = Yes

[nuxaudio]
comment = Audio (D:)
path = /windows/D/

Tested it in the console at the /etc/samba/ directory with
testparm smbd.conf
And then I opened SWAT from http://localhost:901 and fiddled a bit there. I clearly remeber starting all the services and commiting changes.. and after that... i could connect to the sorceress using:

net use e: \\sorceress\nuxaudio

which basically maps the 'nuxaudio' folder to the 'e:' drive. But I got a password prompt and no matter what I tried wraith or root nothing worked. I tried setting the SHARED instead of USERS but I dont think that quite worked. After a lil research I found out that samba has its own user/passwd list. So I created some users.

smbpasswd -a wraith

and volia!! i could access my shares from NN!!! Neat..

I'll tweak it over the week, but finally this is working!!! woo hoo!!
Heres my current smb.conf (/etc/samba)

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/03/21 14:19:47

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = ETERNIA
server string = Samba Server
interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0, eth1, eth2
bind interfaces only = Yes
local master = No
ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
valid users = wraith, Wraith

[nuxaudio]
comment = Audio (D:)
path = /windows/D/

[nuxneuro]
comment = Neuro(F)
path = /windows/F/

[nuxvideo]
comment = Video(E)
path = /windows/E/

[nuxvirtuo]
comment = Virtuo(G)
path = /windows/G/




..update
Since I needed to reconfigure the system after the reinstall, I think I just realised what it was that I did to make samba work.
Even after enabling Samba Server & Client from YaST and changing the smb.conf file to look like above the problem is that the samba services aren't running yet. So, SWAT would not start and i could not see my machine in NW Neighbourhood but could access the windows machines. After mucking around and a few restarts (around 3) the services started so SWAT and Samba were working.
So I guess the key is to coax the smbd, nmbd & winbindd services to run after making all the required changes.
Cheers!

No comments: